Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Well--it's been two weeks.  For those two weeks---I've counted calories and kept them at or below the goal set for me by that handy dandy little fitness app.  Now--I'm very slowly adding some exercise---just for a few minutes in the morning on my own---and then for a few minutes in the afternoon with Miriam.  When the weather is nice enough, we'll use that as outside play time together.  But I've ordered some little fitness videos geared towards kids for the days that it's too cold, rainy, or dark.  They haven't come in yet---so yesterday I was curious if Miriam would be at all interested in just some regular old light floor aerobics since she loves dancing so much and it is kind of like dancing....I stuck the tape in---and Miriam immediately climbed on top of her little table, grinned, and started dancing.  I nixed the table dancing for obvious reasons---but she then seemed to have a really good time dancing on the floor----even imitating the little squats----ummm---hilarious.  It made the exercises fun for me too.  And Stu was endlessly entertained.  Miriam always has a way of making things better.

I attempted to make quinoa yesterday----I just found out that isn't pronounced qwin-oh-uh---but rather keen-wa.  Keen-wa----for some reason I want to say that with a British accent.  I think it would have turned out better if I hadn't substituted garlic salt for garlic.  Eh---live and learn.  The night before the quinoa experiment gone wrong---I attempted to make beef and vegetable chili for dinner---this also went terribly awry.  I have no idea what I did wrong---but the resulting chili was an abomination to taste buds everywhere----way too spicy (I did catch myself starting to put in two tablespoons of cumin rather than two teaspoons---but I corrected the error....really)---and even if it hadn't been too spicy---the taste of the chili under the spices was just----bad.....really bad.  We ending up having random things from the pantry that night.  I don't think that the kitchen and I will ever make peace really.  We are just mortal enemies.

In my devotion time this morning---I read about the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah.  There's a cheery romp for you.  This, to me, remains one of the most disturbing stories in the Bible.  I can imagine Abraham pleading on behalf of any righteous people who might be found in those cities.....If you can find just fifty--Lord---might they be saved...forty....thirty...twenty...ten.  And the angel of the Lord says---if I can find ten people I will save the cities on their behalf. And then the angels go to Sodom---Lot takes them into his house for protection----and then the whole town surrounds the house, trying to break down the doors---threatening sexual violence upon the visitors.  Lot---whose morals must have been skewed from his time in Sodom---actually tries to offer up his own daughters in exchange for his guests.  Disturbing---there's really just no other word for it.   And yet----there are places where the cruelty and violence of Sodom and Gomorrah can still be found.....and I suppose that we know from Genesis that God's patience for evil is not something that will last forever...


Blessings:  Miriam's dancing.  :)  

Prayers:  Friends and family struggling with illnesses.
                 Friend: unspoken
                 Family:  second interview coming up.  Yay!
                 Colleagues at school and students.
                 Student struggling with illness.
                 Students struggling with loss.
                As always, many more.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment