Friday, January 24, 2014

Well, checkin day for week 3.  I lost 2 pounds this week.  So I'm down 11 in all.  I stayed under my calorie goal every day except for Wednesday when I went a couple of hundred calories over.  But yesterday, I was significantly under the calories I could have used---so I say it all works out in the end.  I've added exercise this week.  Very little---just 10 minutes in the morning on my own and 10 at night with the kiddo.  I enjoy the light floor aerobics routines that are a little dancey.  I've found that I do best if the patterns of movement are varied enough that I have to think more about the steps than how fast I'm moving.  And I cannot stick with a program where the instructor marches, dances, exercises, whatever---off the beat.  The music teacher in me just can't handle it.  Petra Kolber is really just a delightful instructor via DVD---and I enjoy her routines.  So that's going well.  I plan to keep it at my little piddly ten minutes am and pm one more week before upping my exercise time a bit.  I could handle more physically---but training myself to get up earlier is the biggest challenge here---and I'm really in no hurry.  I have no time limit on losing weight, etc.  I just want to be fit to serve---I want to break down the idol of food (which is a sad thing to admit, but I do think food is an idol when I let it control me the way that I have in the past)  And I want to be able to keep up with my athletic, little girl.

Today, I am thanking God for blessing me with three weeks of strength to stick with this.  Because---let's not kid ourselves----on my own---I just can't do it.  On my own, I need a chocolate shake to make it through the day.  But with God---I just need to remember to call on the strength that He's already agreed to give me.  And I want to lean on Him----and nothing else.


Still reading through Genesis each morning.  Right now, I'm reading about Isaac's family---his wife, Rebekah---his sons:  Jacob and Esau.  Just a side note---I talked about Abraham yesterday, traveling through Abimelech's lands and telling everyone his wife was his sister to save his own skin.  I didn't remember at all that Isaac does the same thing---travels through Abimelech's land and tells everyone that Rebekah is his sister----because he believes that someone will kill him so he can have her for himself.  Which--I suppose---when you read through the Old testament you see that it is a legitimate concern.  But still---come on guys...really???  Again, imperfect people being blessed by a holy, perfect God.  And thank goodness God doesn't treat us the way we deserve to be treated....

Blessings:  I try really hard to remember my kids' names---it's difficult because I see the whole school---and I tend to get sibling groups mixed up, etc.  But the kids know I really try to learn their names because I take little name tests at certain times throughout the year---just to make sure I'm keepin up with everyone.  They love it when I take a name test---and they especially love it if I happen to get a name wrong.  But that's another story.  After class on Wednesday, two of my fifth graders generally like to stay after class and give me a name test whether I want to take it or not.  A boy and a girl approach me--"What's my name???" they ask each week.  And here's the thing---I know their names, but they come up with elaborate nicknames that I am also supposed to remember---and the nicknames change on a weekly basis---ridiculous things like Fabio, Ferdinand, etc.  It's just a game we play.  So this Wednesday---I said Fabio and M-dawg.  Now, M-dawg is this little skinny, quiet as a mouse girl---so I find the name M-dawg somewhat hilarious.  Then M-dawg tells me--No I'm Mad--dawg!  And now Fabio wants to be called J-dawg.  I tell M-dawg---I'm so sorry Mad-dawg---I will try to get it together for you.  She pats me on the shoulder---with fake concern and humor lining her face---"It's ok Mrs. Finch, one day you'll get it right."  I just love these little, silly moments with the kids.  They make me happy.

Yesterday morning, first thing---a kid in the hallway randomly told me--"You are so beautiful,"  Such sweetness.

Prayers:  family members with illness, difficulties.
                 Students dealing with illnesses.
                 Family member still getting ready for that interview that keeps getting pushed back.
                 And many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment