Friday, January 10, 2014


Giants and shadows 
Threaten and knock
Rattling the doors
And unhinging the locks.
But shadows are nothing
More than reflections
Shades of reality
Vague misconceptions.
And giants too large
In their own estimation
See none but themselves
And this is damnation....


Fridays are going to be my weigh-in/check-in day.  I know I need the accountability to continue on this path.  I've been tracking calories with that little My Fitness App---which lets you say how much weight you want to lose per week and then gives you a calorie goal for each day.  I set mine to lose just 1 pound a week.   And I am attempting to go 30 days without sugar (not completely---I still eat fruit and yogurt---really I guess I'm just going thirty days without dessert food or using sugar as a sweetener, if that makes sense.)  I have noticed that when the cookies and candies are cut out of the equation, you really don't fill up your calorie goal as quickly and get more bang for your buck.  I guess that's common sense---but I haven't really ever tried to completely cut all of that out before---so it's new to me.  

So, for week 1:  I lost 5 pounds.  I know a lot of that is probably just water weight.  And I do have a large amount a weight that I need to lose, so I know I will lose a little faster here at the beginning.  But I'm happy with that.  

I haven't started exercising yet---I want to add everything in slowly----really going for lifestyle changes here.  So the plan is to track calories for a couple of weeks---and then add in just a few minutes of exercise---and slowly increase time/intensity.  I used to love to exercise---it always cleared my head and made me feel more myself.  So, I'm looking forward to slowly building up to that again.

Perhaps it sounds silly for me to say that God is lending me strength throughout this---(I know it's only been a few days)----but I know that He is.  I know that as long as I lean on Him---and not on other, lesser things (food, peer approval, etc)----that I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.  I hope that throughout this year, I can grow stronger in Him alone---both spiritually and physically.  And that in Him---I can become who I'm meant to be---a Godly wife, mother, friend, teacher---and whatever other hat God wants me to wear---whatever other role I'm meant to fill.  

This morning reflection time is a time of prayer as well as reflection and devotion.  I have some friends and family members right now going through some incredibly difficult things.  I want you to know--if you're reading this----that this time of prayer has been a lot about you.  It's all I know how to do where I am---but I know that God will wrap His arms around you---I know that whatever you face---you won't face it alone.  I haven't been able to find the right words to say---or the right time to say them---I just come up blank.  But my heart is with you---and my prayers.  

"And in the same way the Spirit also helps our weaknesses; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words."







No comments:

Post a Comment