Thursday, January 16, 2014

Do you think that you can reprove words, when the speech of a despairing man is wind?" Job 6:26

From Piper's Devotion:  "In grief and pain and despair, people often say things they otherwise would not say.  They paint reality with darker strokes than they will paint it tomorrow when the sun comes up....What shall we do with these words?  Job says that we do not need to reprove them.  These words are wind--or literally "for the wind"  They will quickly be blown away...Therefore, the point is, let us not spend our time and energy reproving such words.  They will be blown away of themselves on the wind.  One need not clip the leaves in autumn.  It is a wasted effort.  They will soon blow off of themselves.  O how quickly we are given to defending God, or sometimes the truth, from words that are only for the wind.  If we had discernment, we could tell the difference between the words with roots and the words blowing in the wind.....What you hear is not the deepest thing within.  There is something real within where they come from.  But it is temporary---like a passing infection----real, painful, but not the true person."


One of my resolutions this year was to show more grace towards people.  I still struggle with the notion that if someone says an unkind word to me---or, more often, about me----(gossip that loops back to its source)---that I don't have time for that person anymore.  When I disregard God---my natural, old self is very unforgiving---and can hold a grudge for an embarrassing amount of time.

But then, when I look at myself---if  I say something thoughtless that is then perceived to be unkind----I get peeved.  Because I think to myself---I didn't mean it that way.  Something I said struck a chord I didn't even know existed---show me some grace...

Grace is so much easier to expect---to receive----than it is so extend.  I pray today for discernment---let me know when to deal with words that have roots--- but when to let a light breeze carry off words that are "not the deepest thing within..."


“Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and with a breath of kindness blow the rest away.”  ----George Eliot



Blessings:  Thankful to have a dad who still will drop everything to help me if I run into trouble.

Prayers:   Many

No comments:

Post a Comment