Wednesday, February 5, 2014

I was walking back to my classroom yesterday---and a little girl in the first grade was walking beside me---headed in the same general direction.

"Hi Mrs. Finch," she said cheerily.

I said Hello back and asked "How are you doing today?"

The little girl said, "Fine--" and it seemed sincere.  But a minute later, she said "Well, actually---not so fine."

I said--"Oh really?  What's going on?"

She answered sadly--"Lost a friend----a best friend."

"Oh---that's terrible.  How did that happen?"

"She says I never sit by her....but I always sit by her every day." and then, with a desperate since of exasperation that you don't normally hear from first graders she said---"Come on---just cut me a break already."

I told her---"Well, I wouldn't give up on her just yet.....you should try talking to her.  It is a serious thing to lose a friend---a best friend.  And sometimes all it takes to keep a friend is a talk.   Maybe she misunderstood something----and she thinks you don't want to be her friend anymore.  Try to clear it up---and see what happens, ok.  Don't give up..."

She nodded, but didn't look too optimistic---and walked into her classroom.

Today---I hope I have the chance to ask her what happened.  Because it truly is a serious thing to lose a friend---a best friend.  I'm pretty sure she already knew that---I think first graders understand that more than we adults do sometimes.  Friendships are important----and they're worth saving.

*********************************************************************************

Stuart had to go pick Miriam up yesterday from daycare.  Although she seemed fine at home---and fine when I dropped her---they called and said she had been crying ever since I left---rolling around on the floor and holding her stomach.  She had calmed down by the time Stu picked her up----and he took her to the doctor for an 11:15 appointment.  The doctor said she seemed fine---he listened to her breathing because she's had a cough for a couple of weeks---he felt her tummy---and said it felt normal---checked her bloodwork---also fine.  He said---it might be a virus and that if it was she might feel worse that afternoon or evening.  But Miriam felt just fine all evening----so we're thinkin' gas---and limiting dairy as recommended by doctor.  Miriam usually has some pretty big meltdowns at the doctor's office---but Stu said she was really actually very sweet this go-round.  When the doctor came in---Miriam asked--"Who's dat?"  Stuart told her--"It's the doctor."  Miriam said:  "Doctor?  Doctor?"  She was good while he did everything he had to do---and didn't even cry when they stuck her finger.  She did however cry when they put the bandaid on--"Sticker off!  Sticker off!" she demanded.  Hahaha.  When the doctor left she said---"Bye bye doctor......that's my doctor."

I'm really glad Miriam seems fine and isn't sick----but I'm also really glad Stu left work early to get her. Yesterday---there was a lot of rain, freezing rain, and flooding on the roadways.  I was glad that Stu and Miriam were home before it got really bad.  Count that whole story under the blessings column please.

No comments:

Post a Comment