Tuesday, February 4, 2014

From Piper's devotion:  This morning I read about the "Five Ways affliction helps"---I really like this article---so I'll post those five ways here----as a reminder that affliction isn't something to curse and be angry over---but rather it can be seen as a way to grow closer to God in relationship....

"Affliction takes the glibness of life away and makes us more serious so that our mindset is more in tune with the seriousness of God's word."

"Affliction knocks worldly props from under us and forces us to rely more on God, which brings us more in tune with the aim of the world"

"Affliction makes us search the Scriptures with greater desperation for help, rather than treating it as marginal to life."

"Affliction brings us into the fellowship of Christ's sufferings so that we fellowship more closely with him and see the world more readily through his eyes."

"Affliction mortifies deceitful and distracting fleshly desires, and so brings us into a more spiritual frame which fits God's word more."

*********************************************************************************

I had one of those dreams that was still going on right as the alarm clock's jarring buzzer started ringing in my head.....one of those dreams that leaves you disoriented because you wake up so abruptly from this other reality.  All my teeth had started to fall out (lovely, right?)  Just one at a time at first---and then by the handful---could have made a killing off the tooth fairy...  Anyhow---obviously I'm pretty upset that all my teeth are falling out----but a beautiful woman---I suppose she was a dentist, though she was dressed more for an outing to some grand party---don't remember much---but I remember dangling earrings and a dazzling necklace with amber jewels---anyhow---the lady started putting my teeth back in place, one by one.  And when she had finished----she said---there, now see----you're beautiful.   And right after she had put me to rights----she was fired from her job.....I woke up right as I was trying to comfort her.  A little disturbing really----made me think of role reversals a bit.  How we tend to put the people who have been there for us---up on a pedestal---and we somehow think that nothing bad will ever touch them.  And yet----those people are human too----living in the same broken world as we live in----and the brokenness---the affliction----it will find them too at some point.....And we may be the ones who need to pick up the pieces the next time.....


*********************************************************************************
Keeping my prayers in a separate notebook right now---but I will say that I'm praying for change.  I keep praying for situations to change----but I've also prayed that if it isn't God's will for these situations to change----then I pray for change within myself.....

Blessings: Laughter.  When I was student teaching, the principal of Campus School told us "My advice to you is this.  Laugh----laugh whenever you can---as often as you can."  She knew what she was talking about.  

No comments:

Post a Comment