Thursday, February 6, 2014

First thing yesterday morning, I ran into the same little girl while I was at bus duty.  I was so excited to talk to her because our conversation from the day before had stuck with me.

As I approached her, I overheard her talking with another little girl---they were making plans for when they would sit together---at lunch, at indoor recess, etc.  And it made me smile.

I asked her quietly---"So did you work things out."

"Yes!" the little girl smiled---"We did!  And now we've even made up a rhyme together."  And so she and the other little girl proceeded to perform an elaborate hand game as they chanted rhymes about girls with yellow hair and boyfriends named Jello----and other silliness that only friends can fully share.  

It was a good moment.

Especially after the bit of a rough start yesterday.  I swear I think my brain is already deteriorating.  I drove past the school yesterday on the way to drop Miriam off at daycare---and noticed there were a lot of cars there.  I'm usually one of the first ones there, so I was a bit surprised though not overly alarmed. Hmmm, I thought to myself, that's funny.  After dropping Miriam at daycare, I came back to school---walked in the building----and saw a lot of teacher's kids playing together in a classroom.  And that's when it hit me---faculty meeting.  7:45 faculty meeting.  I checked the time---it was 8:20 when I finally discovered my mistake.  I stood in the hallway---contemplated going in to the meeting late----but just couldn't. I couldn't stand the thought of drawing that much attention to myself. The new superintendent of Bartlett schools was there today meeting with us.  I had been looking forward to this meeting.  How had I completely flaked out on a faculty meeting?  I went back to the car and cried for a few minutes. I was so angry with myself.  I called Stu and told him what I'd done---he tried to tell me---it's ok---it's not the end of the world if you miss a meeting.  And then I got kind of angry with him too.  (one of my prayers is for a gentle spirit----that one needs an under construction sign)

I don't know---sometimes I just feel like I'm doing everything poorly---everything.  I know those feelings aren't completely accurate----but I do feel it's true I make more mistakes than I used to.  I forget things, legitimately forget---important things.

But ---then I try to remember something our pastor talked about last week----our identity isn't in our weaknesses---our struggles.  Our identity is in Christ.  Spending time beating myself up about things I'm not doing well---I don't know....it's one thing to go to war with your idols----which I'm trying to do---but it's another thing to focus solely on intrinsic character traits about yourself and wish you were different.....I'm a forgetful person....absentminded-----not that I shouldn't try to write myself notes---make extra effort to remember important things----but this feeling of "not good enough"---that isn't valid.  My identity---anything good in me----anything of worth in me----can be found in Christ, and in Christ alone.  And His grace is sufficient for me.  

It is ridiculous how little it takes to sink my meager ship when I forget this.  Perspective-----I'm praying for that too.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment