Friday, November 27, 2020

Thanksgiving 2020

 Thanksgiving 2020


I've been waking up early.  3:30---4 am.  And yesterday was no different.  I got up and turned on the news---drank my coffee---Stu and M still sleeping.  I've been writing my gratitude list this month---and it varies from day to day.  Sometimes the grateful thoughts are easy to find and sit close to the surface---sometimes I have to intentionally look for them. 

But here are some things I am grateful for.

I am grateful for the good health of my family.  Health challenges have presented themselves to several people I love this year---serious health challenges---and thankfully, those loved ones have come out ok.  Continued prayers for healing go out---as health is an ever-changing dynamic.  But---right now---in this moment----they are doing ok.  And I'm grateful for that.

I'm grateful for this time with Miriam----this week off school.  We are adopting a greyhound (hopefully, if all goes well)---and the box for Finn's bed was HUGE.  Miriam made a spaceship out of it----decorating it with markers----and gluing old buttons to the inside for a control panel.  3-2-1 blastoff.  She names planets and dwarf planets (what are dwarf planets? I had to google to find out she wasn't just making up strange names--thank you, space week at school).  

I'm grateful for story time in the bedroom.  Miriam brings Iggy (our little bird) and a bag full of books in the bedroom and we snuggle and read Christmas books together. I maintain Miriam is more entertained by Iggy trying to eat the pages than she is by the actual stories---but still---she will let me read to her for an hour or more---and my heart is full during these times.  These times will not last forever.  I am grateful for this sweetness.  I cooked a small Thanksgiving meal for Stu, Miriam, and I.  I don't know how to cook a turkey (oh the shame)---so I just made chicken and dressing (my mom's recipe), sweet potato casserole (Stu's mom's recipe), and vegetable medley (my aunt Carmen's recipe). I didn't eat it.  Because I'm saving up to have a real Thanksgiving meal the day after Thanksgiving with my family.  But Miriam helped me cook---and by helped, I mean she mostly danced in the kitchen excitedly while I worked. These are some of her favorite recipes too.  And I only make them at Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Stu and Miriam both enjoyed the meal.  

I'm grateful to Stu's parents.  Tuesday was Stu's birthday.  Monday---he went to his parents' house---where they cooked him lasagna and a birthday cake---sending lots of leftovers home.  Along with cherry salad that Kay knows I love.  She always makes an extra container just for me.  I'm the only one who eats it in this household---and I've been known to eat the whole thing in one sitting.  I'm saving it this year again for our Friday meal at my parents.  But I'm looking forward to it.  Tuesday, we ordered in from Coletta's for Stu's birthday----and I made Scalloped Pineapples (Stu's favorite dessert). I haven't made it in a very long time----and Miriam has never had it before.   It was a hit all around.  Anything that calls for a stick and a half of butter and 2 cups of sugar is bound to be good comfort food, I guess.  It was good to sit at the table together as a family and celebrate.  

I'm grateful we had the chance to FaceTime with Stu's parents on Thanksgiving.  It was good to see them. Stu has been seeing them in person---but Miriam and I haven't been able to see them in person for a very long time now.  It will be good when we can all be together again.  

I'm grateful to have time and ability to cook a little.  It's been a while since I've been up to it.  I've been dealing with a stress fracture in my hip.  Been unable to walk or run for exercise---and missing it greatly.  Was non weight bearing for like 5 weeks---and then did a week of partial weight bearing---and now I finally get to ditch the crutches.  Freedom.  Although, I'm still not allowed to walk or run for exercise for another 3 months.  Still---in that time---the time I'd usually be walking/running---I've been knitting socks. And watching Hallmark Christmas movies.  As much as I miss being outside---and I really do.  I miss my long walks/long runs especially---I've enjoyed replenishing my hand knit sock drawer too.  Knitting is a good activity to do when you're healing from something.  It helped me before when I broke my ankle----and it's helped me through this time of inactivity as well.  I'm grateful for knitting.......and for really bad, predictable Christmas movies.  

I'm grateful for the chance to see my family today.  Jacob, Nikki, Joshua, Mom, and Dad.  It's been a long time since we've been all together.  I wasn't sure I was going to be able to make it yesterday.  Ended up at minor med begging for medicine for a UTI (always a good time)---but got the medicine and feeling much better today.  Grateful to have access to medical care on a holiday.  Grateful for good medicine.  

Grateful for the kids at school this year.  I've been really amazed at how resilient they are.  How sweet and understanding they've been during a difficult time.  They've accepted the masks and the 6 feet apart.  They've accepted staying in their classrooms for most of their LAMPS times---while the teachers come to them.  They've accepted---what I think of as skeleton lessons----where I can't really do what I've always done due to COVID restrictions---and yet they still receive what they are given with a sense of gratitude.  They've helped me without complaint----pushing my cart for me while I've wheeled around the building or crutched around the building.  Showing me kindness and concern.  They seem glad to just be at school---I think they are glad to be with each other.  Like we all are---when given the opportunity. 

I'm grateful for my extended family and the Huffstetler group texts.  Grateful to see all the pictures of the Huffstetler crew.  Thinking a lot about my Grandmother---and grateful to have had someone like her in my family and in my life.  Grateful for how much she loved Miriam---and all her great grands.  I have a family that is very rich in love.  And the group texts remind me of that.  And I'm thankful.  

Yesterday, Stu set out our nativity scene.  Our Christmas tree has been up for quite some time now.  It seems like the pretty lights will help usher 2020 on out the door.  Not that there aren't always things to be grateful for----but like everyone, I am ready for the vaccines to come and for COVID-19 to be a thing of the past---as much as that may be possible.  

But grateful to have the nativity scene set out on the mantle.  Grateful for the reminder of Christmas---of God come down.  Of the promise that all things will be made new.  Through Jesus' sacrifice---comes our reconciliation with God.  God---give me eyes to see that every day---that ultimate gift----and to live a life that pours out of that....nothing else.  

 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment