Friday, October 21, 2011

"Winnie-the-Pooh" Quotes

It was hard to choose quotes from this book---mostly because it is the entirety of each story that is funny or charming---or at times insightful (even for a bear of "very little brain")---and you lose the magic when you try to extract one bit from the whole tale---but I tried to find a few stand-alone quotes anyhow.

Stuart and I would sometimes read this one to Miriam together---one of us holding the baby--the other one reading---and maybe we're just completely sleep deprived---I don't know---but we often found ourselves laughing somewhat hysterically at this book.  Neither one of us have ever read this book before now---but we both enjoyed it.  It is full of humor and warmth--and the good natured banter of close friends.  I'm so glad we have a kid now---it gives us a valid excuse to read kids' books.  Everyone should read this book.  You'll be a happier person after you finish it.  :)

"Then why can't you call him Winnie?"
"I don't."
"But you said---"
"He's Winnie-ther-Pooh. Don't you know what 'ther' means?"
"Ah, yes, now I do," I said quickly; and I hope you do too, because it is all the explanation you are going to get.


"I don't know. But something tells me that they're suspicious!"
"Perhaps they think that you're after their honey."
"It may be that.  You never can tell with bees."


(Rabbit to Pooh after Pooh's south end got stuck in Rabbit's burrow)"And I say, old fellow, you're taking up a good deal of room in my house--do you mind if I use your back legs as a towel-horse?  Because, I mean, there they are--doing nothing---and it would be very convenient just to hang the towels on them."

"Because my spelling is Wobbly.  It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places."

"Pooh," said Rabbit kindly, "you haven't any brain."
"I know," said Pooh, humbly.

"Hallo, Rabbit" he said, "is that you?"
"Let's pretend it isn't," said Rabbit, "and see what happens."

"I'm not asking anybody," said Eeyore.  "I'm just telling everybody.  We can look for the North Pole, or we can play 'Here we go gathering Nuts and May' with the end part of an ant's nest.  It's all the same to me."

And the last and smallest friend-and-relation was so upset to find that the whole Expotition was saying 'Hush!' to him, that he buried himself head downwards in a crack in the ground, and stayed there for two days until the danger was over, and then went home in a great hurry, and lived quietly with his aunt ever-afterwards.  His name was Alexander Beetle.

"An Ambush," said Owl, "is a sort of Surprise."
"So is a gorse-bush sometimes," said Pooh. 


"It's a little Anxious," he said to himself, "to be a Very Small Animal Entirely Surrounded by Water.  Christopher Robin and Pooh could escape by Climbing Trees, and Kanga could escape by Jumping, and Rabbit could escape by Burrowing, and Owl could escape by Flying, and Eeyore could escape by---by Making a Loud Noise Until Rescued......"


"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"
"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh.  "What do you say, Piglet?"
"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.
Pooh nodded thoughtfully.
"It's the same thing," he said.

2 comments: