Saturday, December 25, 2021

Christmas 2021

 Into the darkness

Has come a great light

A Savior—a Prince

Born into the night

Don’t look in a palace

Of royal design

Look in the manger

To see the divine.

Draw near to God

He will draw near to you

Seek Him and find Him

Who makes all things new.

But where do I look

Where do I search

In myself or in others

In a place called a church?

God came as a baby

Woke a world fast asleep

While angels sung of His coming

Among shepherds and sheep.

Do I look for God

Or does He find me and see

I could never touch Heaven

But Heaven touched me.

Whose darkness is it

He came to ignite?

Mine or yours

Or humanity’s blight?

Sometimes his light 

Feels like one small candle

Lit just for me

To personally handle

Passed so gently 

From Him to me

Lighting one step at a time

To a path I can’t see.

And sometimes it’s something 

Pressed into my shame

And it hurts to be burned

Though worse to remain.

And other times

His light feels untame

Fiercely fighting 

Like a sword wrought with flame

Where do I look

When the darkness is deep

And I can’t sense Him at all

Or His memory keep?

I didn’t break into His world

He broke into mine

So I read the stories 

Old songs and old rhymes

They trace the veins

That lie under my skin

Bring back to life

What was sickly and dim

And I look to the Quiet

I look to the small

I look in the places

Where there’s no strength at all

Sometimes those places

Are in my own heart

And it’s frightening to walk

Through the powerless parts.

And sometimes those places 

Are right by the tide

And walking into them

I feel swept aside.

But Christmas is here

When God donned what was weak

And if I want to meet God

Let me not fear where to seek.

No comments:

Post a Comment